Logo created using Canva
Social Media Tycoon
You are starting a new social media platform. Your goal will be to get your balance above 1 million bitcoin over a set number of turns. Each decision you make will impact one of four scales:
- Bitcoin balance (positively and negatively impacted by privacy decisions that impact advertising revenue, number of users
- User privacy (driven by the policies you adopt, e.g. Selling user data to advertisers)
- Number of users (driven by advertising spend
- App “coolness” (driven by investment in research and development plus random events such as celebrity endorsement)
My storyboard from my initial experimentation with Twine
Twine is a tool for making interactive games (e.g. Adventure games) in the form of web pages.
Learning Objects & Student Created Products
- Students will understand the business model of “free” social media.
- Student will understand the risks of sharing personal information on social media.
Examples of rewards include:
- Positive media buzz (if coolness is high)
- Teens give your app a nickname and it starts to take hold (if coolness is high)
- Venture capital firm invests (if users are high)
Examples of punishments include:
- Privacy breach discovered (if privacy is too low)
- Young people switching to another app (if coolness is too low)
- App being shut down by totalitarian government (if privacy is too great)
Examples of random events include:
- Your co-founder is says something very inappropriate and the app loses investors
- Your data center is flooded